I remember … and remind myself again and again…
1. Receiving a RM1000 made an engineer elated. He thanked me via email and in person. A few hours later he came back to my office, really unhappy and complaining why his colleague received higher salary increase?
2. Money is a motivator until the person realizes that someone else receives more. Than it becomes a demotivator.
3. My point is…Comparing with others who has more can be upsetting to most people.
4. Social Media, like FB, is a platform where people display their “everything”; food they eat, clothes they wear, places they visit, friends they hang out with, cars they drive, houses they own, knowledge they accumulate, money they spend, and everything under the sun.
5. To stay happy, it is wise to avoid comparing with people. Skim through their Social Media pages and don’t dwell. LIKE if you must, play up their ego, but view their “show off” from a higher level perspective…they need love and validation from the world.
6. To the complaining engineer, I asked a question, “Did I take any of yours to give to your colleague? You were very happy this morning right? So what has changed to what you have been given?”
“No sir! You didn’t take any from me but why does he get more?”
“He deserves more. A more honorable thing for you to do is to go and congratulate him rather than trying to convince me to deduct his increment to be lower than yours!”
7.My point…if you do see someone else has something which make you envious, say “MashaAllah”, Praise Allah, and be reminded that Allah tests his servants in many forms.